The city is located in the Sandanski-Petrich valley at the foot of Pirin. The resort is located almost equidistant from Sofia and Thessaloniki and is an important center for international road E 79 passes through the town and railway route Sofia – Kulata – Thessalonica.
The distance to the Aegean Sea and its resorts is 126 km. 12 km from Sandanski is Rupite temple “St. Petka”, built by the healer Baba Vanga.
Near Sandanski is located Melnik, the smallest town in Bulgaria and Rozhen Monastery and the picturesque village Leshnitsa in which you can find beauty and peace outside the city.
Sandanski is situated in tiers on the extreme south west slopes of the Pirin Mountains along the lower reaches of the river Bistrica Sandanska. The geographic location midway between of Sandanski is a prerequisite for its extremely favorable climatic conditions.
The town, situated at an altitude of 240-300 meters is the warmest Bulgarian town, the duration of sunshine exceeds 2450 hours, creating conditions for year-round sun-air procedures. The mountain breeze, descending from the Pirin Mountain along the river Bistrica, cool air during the summer months.
The air in Sandanski has the lowest content of allergens in Bulgaria and is suitable for the treatment of asthma, allergy and other diseases. The city is world famous as a natural health and spa resort.
The air here is very clean, low relative humidity (66%), with an average annual temperature of 13.9 C, a relatively small daily and seasonal temperature variations. Winters are mild and humid. Rainfall is mostly rain and snow lasts an average of 10-15 days.
The combination of favorable natural conditions, along with a wealth of mineral springs with different termalnost (in the region of Sandanski Municipality has over 80 springs with temperatures 42-81 ° C), low mineralization, rich chemical composition, treating many diseases and enabling bathing open all year round, make the place fit for human settlement in these places in ancient times.
The settlement near the mineral springs arose in the II millennium BC. To VI century the town was one of the first Christian Episcopal centers in Bulgaria. At the end of the VI century it was destroyed by barbarian tribes. From those times he was named St.Vrach in memory of two brothers Cosmas and Damian – healers. City bore this name until 1947 when it was renamed Sandanski.
The ancient city lies entirely on the terrain of the modern town of Sandanski, as found archaeological sites from different historical periods. Flourishing city has received in the period IV-VI century. Since that time we have found many public buildings and early Christian basilicas, including early Christian Episcopal complex. Interest are discovered mosaic ornamental carpets, some of which are exposed “in situ” in the Archaeological museum.
Tourist sites and attractions in and around Sandanski
Sandanski monastery “Sv. Sv. Cosmas and Damian”
The Sandanski monastery “St. St. Kozma and Damyan “is located approximately 2.5 kilometers northeast of the center of town. Sandanski, on the right bank of the river. Sandanska Bystrica. Situated in the picturesque area “Smilovo” among meadows and ancient chestnut trees.
For the early history of the monastery is known little but its occurrence is determined far back in time. According to data held in the past cursory archaeological research in this place there was a monastery back in the era of early Christianity (IV-VI c.). And today around the church are still visible outlines of the old walls, there are also late antique architectural details – bases of columns, stone blocks and others. Here they are found and clay pipes that were probably water supply monastic office.
For this monastery that existed during the Middle Ages witness a marginal note from the XV century. Found in old books, stored today in the Belgrade Library. In the written language of Old memo noted: “The relics of Saints Cosmas and Damian Vrachove that are around nearby village near the town of Melnik, located in Venice.” This historical source gives confirmation as to the significance of the holy place, and the high probability namely monastery “St. St. Cosmas and Damian “- St. Vrachove (from the Slavic word wizard – doctor) has given the name of the settlement – St.Vrach that arose on the ruins of early Christian city (Partikopolis) and remained with this name until 1949, when renamed today – Sandanski.
According to local legend, there lived two brothers Cosmas and Damian and healed the sick in the spring “Oil” that exists today. They were called Bezsrebrenitsi because they did not take any money, gifts or any recompense to their own benefits. Not by chance God has given Sandanski with over 80 mineral springs that make the city a place of rest and treatment.
Rozhen monastery “Nativity of Mary” is the biggest monastery in Pirin Macedonia and is one of the few medieval Bulgarian monasteries well preserved until today. In the past, the monastery was stovropigialen. Today is subordinate to Nevrocope Diocese of Bulgarian Orthodox Church.
The church “Nativity of Mary” monastery later gave its name to the nearby village of Rozhen. The early history of the monastery is not clear. Big fire in the late 17th century monastery buildings damaged and possibly destroyed the monastery archive. During excavations in the monastery courtyard found jewelry and coins from the Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII Palaeologus (1259-1282). Indirect evidence for the existence of the monastery in the 13th century found in a marginal note in the Greek manuscript. Recently theologian-historian Ventsislav Karavalchev published an article stating the Rev.. Callistus Angelikud (Melnik) as the founder of the monastery. The earliest secure information about the existence of the monastery is a note in the manuscript library of the Great Lavra, which indicates that the manuscript was copied in 1551 by the monk Cosmas, abbot of the monastery of “Vsesveshtenata Mary Rozinotisa.”
The courtyard of the Rozhen Monastery
In the 16th century Rozhen monastery is experiencing a boom. At mid-century, being built today south monastery wing and the main church. In the late 16th century church decorated with frescoes and dining room. In the early 17th century is written southern facade of the main temple, and in 1662 was decorated with frescoes and the newly built monastery ossuary located outside the monastery walls. After a fire in the second half of the 17th century, the monastery fell into dire straits.
The monastery was rebuilt in the early 18th century with the financial support of wealthy Bulgarians from all over the country. The reconstruction began in 1715 and the church was fully completed in 1732. In 1761 under the pretext that there are financial difficulties Rozhen monastery lost its independence and became the convent of the Georgian Iviron monastery on Mount Athos. For abbots were appointed Iviron monks. In the early 19th century building in the monastery continues. At the same time he is a regional cultural center and has a lot of land in the vicinity.
Melnik Pyramids are rock formations, which are among the most visited by tourists stone pyramids on the territory of Bulgaria.
Located at the foot of the southwestern part of the Pirin Mountains in the vicinity of Melnik. The area than the pyramids themselves, encompasses a huge amount of other rock formations such as rock sponges, needles, cones and more. The most popular among them are a group of pyramids located near the village Kurlanovo. Apart from the much larger size, interesting for tourists makes them that are built rest house and other buildings for accommodation.
Pyramids of height reaches 100 meters. Typical of their appearance it is that their slopes are sandy and in some places almost completely vertical. Tips of growing deciduous plants and grasses.
Pyramids were under construction and their appearance and shape change. They were declared a natural landmark in 1960.
Rupite is one of those places whose nature is able to delight, inspire and Pacify. The incredible beauty of this area, located in Southwestern Bulgaria is capable of creating in every sense of harmony and tranquility. At the same time around Roupite reigns and an aura of mystique and energy charge, probably related to the fact that Vanga choose this place as their home.
Roupite is named as a small village here and the surrounding area in its land. The small village is located 8 km northeast of Petrich. The whole area is spread out along the right bank of the Struma River. From here Sofia is nearly 140 km.
In the area of Rupite lived and prophetess Vanga. Asked why she chose exactly this place their home, she replied: “I have exact time to be here. This place is very special. It serves as an accumulator and from him I’m buying power and strength. Once there is a terrible burning fire, while the ridge above us hiding a big secret. “
Ridge, who spoke on Vanga is actually Guard mountain hill in Roupite. According to her Housing it is the key to unlocking of our ancient past. Vanga claimed that wherever the crater once was a great city, buried under fiery lava. Residents of this town were large, dressed in clothes as if from tinfoil and were quite smart. Western Highlands proximal sleeve, which is actually part of an extinct volcano.
The temple “St. Petka Bulgarian” postrovn of Baba Vanga was turned into a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people. In 1992, the prophetess built church. The icons were painted by renowned artist prof. Svetlin Rusev. Images of saints, however, are too realistic and are not endorsed by St. Synod. Some are of the opinion that the entire complex is almost sacrilege, construction of the temple was not right because he is not like the others. Inside is white. There are only a few icons and not painted over.
In the southwestern foothills of Housing are remnants of the ancient city of Petra, founded in the last quarter of I4 century BC. The open here in 2002. Latin inscription from 308 years AD. Hr. unequivocally proved that near the village of Rupite was located the ancient city of Herculaneum Sintica mentioned repeatedly by ancient authors. So far, this city was located south of Belasitza.
As a result of the volcanic eruption in Roupite has igneous rocks. Of these springs of mineral water with a temperature of 75 degrees Celsius. The mineral water has healing properties and helps with diseases of the digestive system, endocrine and metabolic disorders, and diseases of the musculoskeletal system, neurological, gynecological and skin diseases. Part of the water is impounded and pipeline was taken to the town of Petrich.
Today Roupite a unique place for rahodka and recreation. Initially, before Vanga move to live here, the place had only modest chapel, surrounded by overgrown grass. But then started cultivation in place, with the result that today there are beautiful landscaped lawns and alleys with benches.